Sniffer mode cisco AP

 

Today I had an issue that one client couldn’t connect to an SSID while all the others have no issues. The wireless network there is working for more than 1 year without any issues.

I got the debugs from the controller and I saw that the client stopped talking to the AP and the WLC was de authenticating the client (that’s what I understand from the WLC logs and debugs [Sent Deauthenticate to mobile on BSSID…]) I was almost sure that this is a client issue (drivers etc as the issue was only for this client)

 

As I am in the preparation process for CWAP exam I thought that taking a capture would help me to understand what its going wrong.   

The only way to capture was to change an existing AP in sniffer mode as I couldn’t visit the customer due to this covid situation.

 

I tried to do it (set a neighbour AP in sniffer mode configure the channels and destination to send the capture) but unfortunately, I couldn’t see any packets in Wireshark.


That’s why I spent my night to setup a lab in order to make it work tomorrow 😊


Finally, I make it work and If you want to learn how it works you can take a beer and continue reading the “guide” below.

 

Firstly, you have to go in wireless tab and find the AP you want to change in sniffer mode.



Change the AP mode to sniffer. Now the AP will be lost from the controller and will return back in sniffer mode. (This takes around 2 3 minutes)

Note that when the AP operates in sniffer mode do not broadcasting ani SSID. ITS NOT SERVING CLIENTS.




Go to wireless -> Radios and select which band you want to sniff (2.4 or 5). Choose every band you want. You can choose both if you want



At the right of the screen find the configure




Enable Sniff check box

At the server Ip Address specify the PC with Wireshark (When enable Wireshark on this pc you will sniff on the ethernet nic)

Specify the channel

Do the same in the RF Channel Assignment



That’s was the steps in WLC site.

 

Open the PC with wireshark and start sniffing the ethernet card

The controller Is encapsulating the sniffed traffic into udp port 5555

You should see something like this. *Note: two times I faced a strange scenario where I couldn’t see any wireless traffic. I removed and reinstalled wireshark and the issue resolved



As a last step you have to decode this traffic as a peekremote

Go to Analyze tab, select Decode As. Select UDP, valu as 5555 and PEEKREMOTE.

 



You should now be able to see the wireless traffic like below.



Reference:

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/apjc/docs/2016/pdf/BRKEWN-3000.pdf







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upgrade WLC / Supplementary image

Converting lightweigh to standalone AP and vice versa

ISE Direct Upgrade URT